> Can't submit

I try to submit my solution and I get a popup with 'An unexpected error occurred.' message. Not sure what to do.

Posted by: jkolen @ Jan. 23, 2023, 4:43 a.m.

Could you let us know what file type you tried to upload? This doesn't seem like its an error with the grader which would return with a fail, but usually Codalab will give a popup error if the file extension is incorrect.

Posted by: ccafeccafe @ Jan. 23, 2023, 12:25 p.m.

I tried with tgz and then a zip file. I got a different error (filetype not recognized, or something like that) with the tgz file. There wasn't much on the page except for the error popup. All the required fields were filled in.

Posted by: jkolen @ Jan. 23, 2023, 5:38 p.m.

Could you try downloading the starter kit from the github repo and uploading it? We have submitted several test entries and couldn't seem to replicate this issue. We don't see your submission in the queue, so I think its something to do with the front end that codalab doesn't like.

Posted by: ccafeccafe @ Jan. 23, 2023, 6:08 p.m.

I have downloaded the starter kit from the github repo and did a pull requests, and I'm still getting the same error.
Here's the log for creating my zip file:
zip submission_jkolen.zip `ls postBuild environment.yml apt.txt solution/*.py solution/soln/*.py | grep -Eiv -e 'test_|cli_|sim_env'`
adding: apt.txt (stored 0%)
adding: environment.yml (deflated 41%)
adding: postBuild (stored 0%)
adding: solution/mysolution.py (deflated 62%)
adding: solution/soln/__init__.py (stored 0%)
adding: solution/soln/cargo.py (deflated 74%)
adding: solution/soln/cargo_goals.py (deflated 71%)
adding: solution/soln/flight_plan.py (deflated 78%)
adding: solution/soln/flight_planner.py (deflated 85%)
adding: solution/soln/goal.py (deflated 68%)
adding: solution/soln/goal_stack.py (deflated 65%)
adding: solution/soln/scheduler.py (deflated 80%)
The agent described in mysolution.py loads a locally defined module. Is it choking on the extra directory?
I could mail your team the zip file so you can debug it, if you wish. Maybe you could add a more informative error message.

Posted by: jkolen @ Jan. 23, 2023, 6:51 p.m.

Thanks for the extra information, we're looking into replicating the way you made your zip file. If it doesn't work then we'll ask for you to email it to us. Unfortunately we can't make a more informative error since the error you're getting is from Codalab's website, so we can't change the popup message.

Posted by: ccafeccafe @ Jan. 23, 2023, 7:25 p.m.

Forgot to mention that I did not change apt.txt, environment.yml, or postBuild. They are identical to the repo versions.

Posted by: jkolen @ Jan. 23, 2023, 7:30 p.m.

I tried submitting the mysolution.py from the repo:
zip submission_rand.zip postBuild environment.yml apt.txt solution/mysolution.py
adding: postBuild (stored 0%)
adding: solution/mysolution.py (deflated 54%)
I still get the error. I even logged out and cleared cookies and cache. I'm using Chrome Version 108.0.5359.124 (Official Build) (x86_64).

Posted by: jkolen @ Jan. 23, 2023, 9:40 p.m.

I tried both my submission and the random search submission from another machine with the same account. Still get the error.

Posted by: jkolen @ Jan. 23, 2023, 10:56 p.m.

Thanks for the info regarding my submission. However, I still can't submit the random solution:
zip submission_rand.zip postBuild environment.yml apt.txt solution/mysolution.py
adding: postBuild (deflated 28%)
adding: solution/mysolution.py (deflated 54%)
(airlift-solution) $ cat apt.txt
(airlift-solution) $ cat environment.yml
name: airlift-solution
channels:
- conda-forge
- defaults
dependencies:
- python==3.9
- pip==21.3.1

- pip:
# For debugging purposes, you may want to comment out the following line and instead install the airlift package
# from source as described in the README at https://github.com/airlift-challenge/airlift
- git+https://github.com/airlift-challenge/airlift
(airlift-solution) $ cat postBuild
#pip install -e ./airlift
pip install git+https://github.com/airlift-challenge/airlift # force use of the current version
(airlift-solution) $ cat solution/mysolution.py
from airlift.solutions import Solution
from airlift.envs import ActionHelper

class MySolution(Solution):
"""
Utilizing this class for your solution is required for your submission. The primary solution algorithm will go inside the
policy function.
"""
def __init__(self):
super().__init__()

def reset(self, obs, observation_spaces=None, action_spaces=None, seed=None):
# Currently, the evaluator will NOT pass in an observation space or action space (they will be set to None)
super().reset(obs, observation_spaces, action_spaces, seed)

# Create an action helper using our random number generator
self._action_helper = ActionHelper(self._np_random)

def policies(self, obs, dones):
# Use the acion helper to generate an action
return self._action_helper.sample_valid_actions(obs)

Posted by: jkolen @ Jan. 24, 2023, 6:05 p.m.

If you were unable to submit something on another machine, maybe it is a network issue. Did you try submitting to other competitions? In addition, we're planning to remake the competition on Codalab since we're running into a lot of other issues, including the leaderboard updating incorrectly. Maybe the newly made competition will fix some issues. We'll send out a message when that happens.

Posted by: ccafeccafe @ Jan. 24, 2023, 7:36 p.m.

Could you try just putting test test test in all of the required fields for submission? We ran into this issue with special characters on the submission form, it didn't like the slash character.

Posted by: ccafeccafe @ Jan. 24, 2023, 7:49 p.m.

I was able to submit with test in all the fields. I then started to change the fields to the values I originally used and the submission failed with "Ad hoc Optimizations" which happens to be exactly 20 characters. Looks like an off-by-one error on their part.

Posted by: jkolen @ Jan. 24, 2023, 8:06 p.m.
Post in this thread